GENEVA: The World Trade Organization (WTO) last week established a panel of experts to investigate a complaint by the US over Chinese duties on auto imports.
In the dispute, one of many involving the world’s two biggest economies, the US described China’s actions as having “profound procedural and substantive deficiencies,” a source close to the organization said. The duties were also in breach of international trade rules, the US delegation said.
China responded by saying that it regretted the US request for the WTO dispute-settlement panel since Beijing had followed the organization’s guidelines and had hoped to solve the matter bilaterally. The vehicles at issue were “dumped on the Chinese market and were subsidized by the US, causing injury to the domestic industry of China,” a Chinese statement said.
In December 2011, China announced it would impose anti-dumping duties on US-imported vehicles with engines of 2.5 liters or larger, which it put at the time at around 50,000 vehicles a year. The latest dispute dates back to July when the US asked for WTO intervention after calling China’s actions “unjust.”
According to Washington, the Chinese duties affected more than 80 percent of US auto exports to China. US Trade Representative Ron Kirk welcomed the WTO action.
“We will not stand idly by while China misuses trade remedy procedures and puts American jobs at risk,” Kirk said in a statement. “As we have demonstrated in numerous cases, we are serious about holding China accountable to its WTO commitments and ensuring that there is a level playing field for American workers and businesses.”
In another ongoing dispute, the US also accused China of providing at least $1 billion in illegal subsidies to Chinese auto and auto parts exporters over 2009 to 2011, helping them beat US manufacturers in the $350 billion US market.
Washington now has 10 cases against China at the WTO, most of them lodged in the past two years, part of an effort by President Barack Obama’s administration to use trade rules to beat down Beijing’s huge bilateral trade surplus with the US.
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:353
By : BRIAN AFUANG MOTORING EDITOR

Joey Almeda (left) and Jotle Viray appear ready to put in yet another 1,200-kilometer stint on the saddle. BECAUSE it is there. Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:258
By : AFP

Carlos Sainz is out. CALAMA, Chile: Former Dakar Rally champion Carlos Sainz saw his 2013 title bid grind to a halt late last week on the sands of Chile as he admitted he may never return to take on the grueling event. Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:310
By : BRIAN AFUANG MOTORING EDITOR

GOD bless parking assist. In Metro Manila where parking spots are tight, poorly lit and marked, and usually come with pesky beggars, this gizmo is as useful to driving as a spoon and a fork are to eating. Yes, you can do without them, but chance... Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:203
By : RUBEN D. MANAHAN 4TH REPORTER

HELPING those in need, promoting safe and responsible driving, and maintaining the sophisticated image of the German marque over which they profess affection for are the key elements behind the existence of BMW Car Club of the Philippines (BMWCC... Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:190
By : FAST TIMES
NISSAN Motor Phils. Inc. (NMPI) announced it is starting 2013 with the official introduction of Nissan’s best-selling global sedan, the Almera, which will be launched tomorrow as NMPI’s entry in the country’s highly competitive small-car segment. Read more