TROPICAL Storm Son-Tinh (local name: Ofel) has left at least six people dead and nine missing in the Philippines, the civil defense chief said on Friday.
The fatalities include one person hit by a tree toppled by strong winds and another who was crushed in a landslide spawned by heavy rains, said the disaster-monitoring council Chief Benito Ramos.
Nine fishermen who ventured out to sea in separate parts of the Philippines between Monday and Wednesday have been listed as missing, but Ramos said that the authorities had not given up hope that some of them may be found alive.
"Maybe these guys just took refuge in small islands. They might emerge anytime. We can't say they are dead. There is an effort to locate them," he told Agence France-Presse.
The storm, which recorded maximum winds of 90 kilometers (56 miles) per hour, also caused flooding that derailed a train traveling through Sariaya town, southeast of Manila, leaving nine passengers injured, Ramos added.
Son-Tinh cut through the central islands of the Philippines earlier this week and on Friday was charted as moving west into the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) at 22kph, the government weather station said.
The Philippines endures about 20 major storms or typhoons every rainy season.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:76
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:162
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:85
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:103
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more