checkmate

Arroyo refuses to enter plea

Former Philippine president and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga province refused to enter a plea on Monday on a graft charge that could see her jailed for life, as she appeared in court wheelchair-bound and wearing a neck brace.


Arroyo sat quietly as Judge Efren de la Cruz read the charge that she had plundered $8.8 million in state lottery funds during her time as president from 2001 to 2010.

One of Arroyo's lawyers, Ferdinand Topacio, said that no plea was entered because her legal team had questioned the legality of charge with the Supreme Court, which had yet to issue a ruling on the motion.

"This arrest, as we have said before, is illegal and baseless," Topacio told Agence France-Presse. "It is a right of anyone accused not to enter a plea."

The Supreme Court is the highest judicial body in the country.

However de la Cruz entered a "not guilty" on Arroyo's behalf and asked the defense and prosecution to return on December 3 for a preliminary session in which both sides will present their list of witnesses.

Arroyo ended her time in power as one of the country's most unpopular presidents, amid allegations that she had cheated to win elections, embraced feared warlords as allies and was involved in widespread corruption.

Her successor, President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino 3rd, won a landslide election after vowing to fight corruption and prosecute Arroyo.

Government prosecutors charged Arroyo with vote fraud in November last year for allegedly rigging the 2007 senatorial vote.

She spent most of the next eight months under detention at a military hospital, where she was treated for a spinal disease that requires her to wear the neck brace.

However Arroyo won bail in July this year, with the court saying that the case against her was weak.

She was re-arrested early this month on the charge of conspiring to defraud the state lottery to finance an election campaign, and could face life in jail if found guilty.

Arroyo has been allowed to remain at the same military hospital since being hit with the vote fraud charge.

She was placed on intensive care this month to clear a blockage that prevented oxygen supply to her heart. She is now recovering from that condition.

Arroyo is also facing a third graft charge involving a deal with a Chinese telecom firm, in which her husband allegedly received kickbacks in exchange for her approving a national Internet broadband network.

Court resolutions to these cases are expected to drag for years in the country's slow justice system.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:76
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:162
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:84
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:103
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC