SYDNEY: Australia will elevate its engagement with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) and seek to more closely align its foreign policy with that of the bloc, Foreign Minister Bob Carr said on Friday.
In an interview with the Australian Financial Review, Carr said that Australia, which last weekend released a comprehensive blueprint for enhancing its ties with Asia, recognized Asean's "centrality in the region".
"I am quite happy to be associated with a shift [in Australia's level of engagement]," Carr said.
"I think [that] we need to ease into habits of consultation with Asean as a grouping and with its individual members and also relax into the habit of listening to them more as they talk about their region."
The sweeping policy blueprint, Australia in the Asian Century, released last weekend, set a series of goals for the next 13 years to seize upon Asia's rapid ascent as a global economic powerhouse.
The ambitious plan is aimed at maximizing links with booming China and other soaring Asian economies to power Australia into the world's top 10 wealthiest nations by 2025.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard said that China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea and the United States would be Australia's key partners, while Canberra also decided to post a full-time ambassador to the 10-nation Asean.
Carr said that no regional grouping was more relevant to Australia's security or prosperity than Asean, which groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
"I want to emphasize the sheer vitality of the economies that lie within Asean and their importance to Australia . . . taken as a bloc it is our number two trading partner," he told the newspaper.
Carr, who travels to Indonesia and Malaysia in coming days, added that Asean had been at the forefront of resolving disputes over territory in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) involving China.
"Asean members want to see Asean prove itself on this issue," he said.
AFP
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:76
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:162
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:84
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:103
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more