PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) have identified about 60 suspected "private armies" that could use violence to influence national elections next year, an official said on Monday.
Armed followers of politicians have long been a major problem during elections, carrying out crimes like the 2009 massacre of 58 people to protect the interests of powerful clans.
Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo, PNP spokesman, said that police intelligence had found about 60 suspected "private armed groups" in different parts of the country.
"Once we have completely validated this, all of our units will go after these groups," he told reporters.
The initiative would be part of national police efforts to safeguard local and legislative elections in May 2013, Cerbo added.
A previous national police study in 2010 found 112 private armed groups all over the archipelago with numbers ranging from a handful of men to hundreds.
Cerbo said that police were conducting a new count because some of these groups had already been broken up while others had voluntarily disbanded.
The groups consist of government-supported militiamen, insurgents, rogue police or soldiers or armed thugs who do the bidding of politicians to help them stay in power.
This can include intimidating rival candidates or voters or spoiling the counting of ballots.
In the worst case of violence involving private armies, followers of a powerful clan in 2009 killed 58 people in the southern Philippines to prevent a rival from running against one of the clan members.
A government study in 2010 said that private armies exist because of widespread disregard for the law in settling disputes and a feudal power structure in which many poor people find themselves relying on a few powerful men.
President Benigno Aquino 3rd, who was elected on a reform platform in 2010, has ordered the police to break up all such groups.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:74
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:160
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:84
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:103
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more