checkmate

Human Rights Watch urges Manila to disarm warlords

HUMAN Rights Watch (HRW) on Thursday urged Philippine President Benigno Aquino 3rd to do more to break up private armed groups, three years after 58 people were killed in the country's worst political massacre.


The watchdog's Asia Director Brad Adams said that the government failed to disband dozens of so-called "private armies" following the November 23, 2009 massacre in Maguindanao province that was blamed on a powerful local clan.

"Three years since the horrors of the Maguindanao massacre, the trial crawls along, half of the suspects remain at large, and the victims' families still face threats," Adams said in a statement.

Communications Secretary Ramon “Ricky” Carandang said that police had carried out raids against such groups, leading to some arrests.

He cited an interior department report that showed only about 60 private armed groups remained, compared with 112 at the end of 2010.

Adams said that Aquino should revoke an order issued by his predecessor and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo that authorized local officials to form and arm civilian paramilitary units to help law enforcers keep the peace in areas troubled by insurgencies.

HRW said that the order had been abused by many local officials in justifying their own "private armies" that he said they then used against political rivals.

The Ampatuan clan is accused of carrying out the 2009 massacre in their Maguindanao provincial stronghold to stop a rival, Esmael Mangudadatu, from running against one of its members in elections the following year.

The victims included Mangudadatu's wife and sister, their lawyers and a large group of journalists.

Philippine police said that 103 people have been arrested over the massacre, including the clan patriarch. However 92 other suspects remain at large.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:71
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:159
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:83
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:103
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC