checkmate

Puerto Rican boxing great Hector Camacho dies: doctor

Puerto Rican boxing great Hector 'Macho' Camacho, shot in the head last week, was declared dead Saturday after being removed from a respirator, a doctor said.



His death brings a tragic end to a career that saw Camacho triumph in three weight classes but struggle with drugs and alcohol.

Camacho, who was 50, suffered a heart attack overnight Friday and doctors later disconnected him from life support equipment, said Dr. Ernesto Torres, director of Centro Medico de Rio Piedras, where the boxer was admitted after being shot Tuesday.

"There was nothing else we could do for him," Torres said.

Camacho had been declared brain dead on Thursday. His relatives were informed as soon as he was taken off life support Saturday, the doctor said.

Camacho's mother, Maria Matias, said Friday she accepted the doctors' opinion that the three-time world champion could not recover.

The ex-fighter was shot on Tuesday while in a car in San Juan outside a liquor store. The boxer's driver, Alberto Mojica Moreno, 49, was killed in the shooting.

It is not known if they were deliberately targeted or simply caught up in a random act of violence. The bullet damaged three arteries in Camacho's neck, crippling the flow of blood to his brain.

Camacho was one of the most colorful boxers of the 1980s, winning world titles at super lightweight, lightweight and light welterweight.

With a career record of 79-6-3 with 38 knockouts, he took on all comers, including big names Oscar De La Hoya, Julio Cesar Chavez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Felix Trinidad, Ray Mancini and Greg Haugen.

But battles with drugs and alcohol led to numerous brushes with the law outside the ring.

Earlier this year, US police charged him with child abuse for allegedly slamming his son into the floor at his ex-wife's home in Florida.

Torres said Camacho's organs cannot be donated because of the length of time he was kept on life support.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:71
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:159
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:83
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:103
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC