checkmate

Eight dead as Typhoon Pablo lashes Philippines

 UPDATES:  Typhoon Pablo killed at least eight people in the Philippines on Tuesday and there were fears the toll could rise sharply as the strongest storm to hit the country this year brought scenes of devastation.



Authorities were checking reports that a flash flood swept away an army truck with up to 30 soldiers and 20 civilians on board on the southern island of Mindanao, where the storm made landfall at dawn.

The typhoon brought driving rain and packed gusts of up to 210 kilometres (130 miles) an hour, toppling trees and power lines, causing localised flooding and forcing more than 50,000 to seek refuge in emergency shelters.

At least eight people were confirmed killed, including an elderly woman who was crushed to death when a tree fell on her house, a motorist who was pinned down by a coconut tree, and a soldier who drowned, rescue officials said.

The cause of death of the other five was not specified.

Civil defence office chief Benito Ramos said the report of the army truck swept away came from the southern town of New Bataan.

"There was a platoon of about 30 soldiers that deployed there in preparation for the typhoon," he said.

Four fishermen were also reported missing off Mindanao's east coast, said Freddie Bendulo, planning and development officer of Davao Oriental province.

A weaker Pablo headed for the Sulu Sea in the late afternoon, changing course westward after briefly threatening the central tourist islands of Bohol, Cebu and Negros, the state weather service said.

Hundreds of people are killed each year by the 20 or so tropical cyclones that hit the Philippines, but Ramos said the confirmed casualties so far from Pablo were down due to government efforts to move people to safety.

"So far, casualties have been minimal. We attribute this to the cooperation of our people and the efforts of local officials," he told reporters.

Winds blew roofs off some buildings and residents of coastal and low-lying communities in Mindanao moved into shelters as floods hit some areas, residents and AFP reporters said.

Television footage also showed logs being swept down Mindanao's Sumilao river, and utility workers cutting up fallen trees that were blocking highways.

More than 53,000 people had moved into nearly 1,000 government shelters by early Tuesday, the civil defence office said.

Television footage showed large numbers of people lying on mats or cardboard sheets on the concrete floors of gyms.

A total of 145 flights to and from Mindanao and the central islands had been grounded since Monday night and more than 3,000 ferry passengers were stranded as vessels were ordered to stay in port, the civil defence office said.

Large parts of Mindanao, which is not normally hit by typhoons, were without electricity after power was cut to reduce the risk of fires and electrocutions, said Liza Mazo, a regional civil defence official.

People living in the path of the storm did what they could to protect their homes and possessions.

"We have taken our pigs and chickens inside our house because their shed might be destroyed," 46-year-old shopkeeper Marianita Villamor from the southern farming town of San Fermin said.

In Cagayan de Oro city, where giant waves crashed down on the shoreline, mayor Vicente Emano said on ABS-CBN television that police rounded up all residents of low-lying areas and moved them to government shelters.

In Tagum city, hotel waiter Edgie Atilano, 23, said he and his family hunkered down in their home as Bopha bore down.

"At 3:00 am, we were woken by strong rain and howling winds. Trees and branches started snapping off near the house," said the father-of-two.

"This is my first time to experience a strong typhoon. It was a bit scary."

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:70
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:158
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:83
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:103
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC