checkmate

Typhoon destroys quarter of Philippine banana crop

 MANILA: The Philippines, the world's third largest exporter of bananas, lost a quarter of its crop in Typhoon Pablo, an industry group said Thursday, adding that it has also likely spread a destructive pest.



The Philippine Banana Growers and Exporters Association said the deadly storm, which has so far killed 477 people, would also cost the industry $318 million.

Executive director Stephen Antig said Pablo destroyed 10,000 hectares (24,700 acres) of the country's 42,000 hectares of banana farms.

Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala confirmed that bananas were among the farm sector segments that were hit hard by Pablo, though he gave no specific figures.

"I would say the banana industry sustained the worst damage," he said.

Farmers in Compostela Valley and Bukidnon provinces who grow bananas under contract from big exporters are in danger of not being able to deliver, and the government is thinking of ways to fill the gap, he told ABS-CBN television.

"We're concerned the market could go to Ecuador. If that happens we would have a hard time getting it back," Alcala said, referring to the world's top banana exporter and Philippine rival.

The government is in discussions with the industry on how best to help it, he added.

Alcala's aides later told AFP the minister was unavailable for comment.

The hurricane-force winds and flash floods flattened wide swathes of the hillsides of Davao Oriental province and Compostela Valley, the centre of the industry, Antig said.

And apart from the visible damage, Antig said there were fears that the floods might have spread Panama Disease, which prevents the banana plant from bearing any fruit before eventually killing it.

The bug then renders the affected areas unsuitable for replanting.

About 150,000 people depend on the banana industry in Compostela Valley alone.

The Philippines likely lost eight billion pesos ($196 million) in ruined harvests and damaged facilities in the storm, Antig said, while rehabilitating farms would take several months and likely cost another five billion pesos.

It would then take nine months after the replanting to reap the next harvest.

The state census office said the Philippines shipped $471 million worth of the fruit last year -- accounting for one percent of total exports.

Pablo is the latest blow to the Philippines' banana industry, which was embroiled in a row this year with major market China over alleged pests on shipments that left tonnes of the fruit to rot at Chinese ports.

The two governments later held talks to resolve the issue.

Antig said the industry was also hit by the international foreign exchange embargo on Iran, and an attack of Panama Disease on some plantations.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:69
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:157
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:83
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:103
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC