checkmate

PH leader pledges action on typhoon disasters

NEW BATAAN: Philippine President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Friday visited communities devastated by a deadly typhoon and vowed to work to find ways to prevent storm disasters.


"We want to find out why this tragedy happened and how to keep these tragedies from happening again," he told dazed survivors after arriving by helicopter in New Bataan, which bore the brunt of Tuesday's deadly cyclone.

Nearly 500 people were killed in the storm, which tore across southern Mindanao islands and devastated its banana-growing and mining industries.

"I am here to listen and hear explanations. This is not a time for accusations. It is a time for work," Aquino said before helping hand out food packs to about 2,000 people sheltering at a government gymnasium, one of the few structures left standing on the town of 48,000 people.

Typhoon Bopha (local name: Pablo) slammed into the southern Philippines on Tuesday, leaving hundreds dead or missing and making 306,000 people homeless as it flattened whole towns.

About 20 cyclones a year pummel the Philippines, which is also regularly hit with floods, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but the scale of the disaster in Mindanao has shocked the nation.

Bopha is the 16th storm to hit the country this year.

The government had warned communities’ days in advance, ordering evacuations ahead of the Typhoon Bopha's arrival.

In December last year Mindanao was also pummeled by tropical storm Washi (local name: Sendong), which killed more than 1,200 and left hundreds of thousands homeless.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:69
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:156
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:83
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:103
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC