THE Philippines would support Japan dropping its pacifist constitution to become a fully-fledged military force and act as a balance against a rising China, a government spokesman said on Monday.
In an interview with The Financial Times, Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said that the Philippines would strongly support a rearmed Japan—its World War II foe—as a counterweight to what it sees as Chinese provocation.
"We are looking for balancing factors in the region and Japan could be a significant balancing factor," he told the paper amid growing tensions over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), almost all of which is claimed by China.
Foreign department spokesman Raul Hernandez confirmed that the government's view that Japan should upgrade its military from a self-defense force so that it has more freedom to operate in the region.
"[Del Rosario] said we are in favor of Japan's gaining strength," Hernandez told Agence France-Presse.
Japan occupied the Philippines for more than three years from December 1941, during which suspected guerrillas were tortured and executed, while some local women forced into prostitution to serve the occupying army.
The war claimed at least a million civilian Philippine lives, according to historians.
The newspaper interview comes shortly before a general election in Japan where the front-runner, opposition leader Shinzo Abe said that he wants to revise the country's pacifist constitution, imposed by the US after the war.
China claims most of the West Philippine Sea, including waters close to the shores of its neighbors. These areas include major sea-lanes and are believed to hold vast mineral and oil resources.
China's claim is contested by the Philippines as well as Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam, which have overlapping claims to some or all of those same areas.
In April, Chinese patrol vessels prevented the Philippine Navy from arresting a group of Chinese fishermen at the Panatag (Scarborough Shoal), which is close to the main Philippine island of Luzon and which Manila says is part of its territory.
Manila said that China has continued to station patrol vessels in the area even after the Philippines withdrew its vessels and called for a peaceful resolution to the dispute according to international law.
Earlier this month, the Philippines asked China to clarify press reports Chinese authorities had authorized its forces to interdict ships entering what Beijing considers its territorial waters.
China and Japan are also in dispute over islands in the East China Sea that are controlled by Tokyo.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:68
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:155
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:83
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:103
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more