LONG-TIME allies the United States and the Philippines on Thursday blasted North Korea's "provocative" rocket launch as a threat to regional security and pledged to strengthen their military ties.
In a statement following bilateral talks attended by top diplomats and security officials, the two countries vowed to boost cooperation in the wake of Pyongyang's move.
They agreed to bolster joint efforts relating to maritime security, disaster response, law enforcement and cyber-security, and non-proliferation (of nuclear weapons), the statement said.
"The two sides also strongly condemned . . . [the launch] utilizing ballistic missile technology and emphasized that this highly provocative act is in direct violation of relevant UN Security Council resolutions," the statement said.
"Given this current threat to regional security, both sides will strengthen and increase their close alliance coordination," it said.
The meeting was attended by US Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell, Assistant Secretary of Defense Mark Lippert and their Filipino counterparts Erlinda Basilio and Pio Batino.
The US considers the Philippines a major non-NATO ally in the Asia Pacific region, where Washington had earlier announced a strategic shift of its forces.
Filipino officials previously said that they hoped the Philippines could play a key role in that pivot, with a former US naval base north of Manila already increasingly accommodating American carriers and submarines.
The meeting also came at a time when the Philippines, along with other Southeast Asian countries, is embroiled in an increasingly tense territorial dispute with China involving territories in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).
Washington had earlier warned China against its perceived aggressiveness in staking out its claims.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:68
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:154
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:82
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:101
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more