checkmate

Philippine rebels order fighters not to carry guns

MANILA: Philippine Muslim rebel leaders who are negotiating a peace deal with Manila ordered their fighters on Friday not to wear military uniforms or carry guns in public, a spokesman said.



The order to members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) was relayed following unofficial complaints that rebel fighters were increasingly visible, wearing their camouflage uniforms and carrying firearms.

MILF spokesman Von al-Haq said the rebel leadership had immediately acted on the complaints and issued orders to the 12,000-strong rebel force in the southern Philippines.

"This is in order to show that the officials and men of the Bangsamoro (Filipino Muslim) armed forces are disciplined," he told AFP.

MILF fighters were told not to wear uniforms in "public places", to not make "uncoordinated movements" carrying firearms, or set up checkpoints on roads without orders from the leadership, the spokesman said.

Von al-Haq added that some MILF fighters had been wearing military attire and carrying weapons more openly following a "framework agreement" between the government and rebels in October.

The agreement paves the way for the eventual creation of an autonomous region for the Philippines' Muslim minority in the southern Philippines, although more negotiating still needs to be carried out before a final pact can be sealed.

President Benigno Aquino and MILF chief Murad Ebrahim witnessed the signing of the accord on October 15, which aims for a full peace deal by 2016.

The deal would include significant power and wealth-sharing with the MILF in a new autonomous region in the strife-torn south.

Muslim rebel groups have been fighting since the 1970s for full independence or autonomy in the south in a conflict that has claimed 150,000 lives.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:68
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:154
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:82
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:101
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC