checkmate

Soldiers liable for death of Philippine botanist

MANILA: The Philippines' official human rights commission called Tuesday for criminal charges against eight soldiers and their two commanders for the killing of a respected botanist and his two aides.



The recommendation by the Commission on Human Rights comes as President Benigno Aquino attempts to show that his government is serious about cracking down on rights abuses that have afflicted the country for decades.

The commission said in a statement that the November 2010 killing of botanist Leonard Co and his two assistants was due to the military's failure to distinguish civilians from combatants.

It also cited alleged attempts to hide the crime by the soldiers and their battalion commander.

"This was a tragedy that should not have happened if the (military) had been more diligent in observing international humanitarian law in protecting the lives and safety of civilians," the statement said.

Co and his two assistants were killed while working on a reforestation project in the central island of Leyte in what the military initially claimed was crossfire during a clash with communist rebels.

But the commission's investigators later concluded there had been no firefight and that Co and his aides were killed when the soldiers mistook them for insurgents.

"There was a failure to distinguish civilians from alleged combatants. There was a failure to provide prompt medical attention to the wounded victim... who died as a result," the statement said.

The commission also sought charges against the battalion commander of the unit involved for failing to submit all the firearms used for testing.

Its recommendations have been sent to the Justice Department which will determine what charges will be filed.

Aquino, the son of two pro-democracy heroes, was elected president in 2010 with a promise to curb rights abuses, particularly the "culture of impunity" under which powerful men believe they can get away with abuses.

But the government, battling communist rebels, Muslim separatists and extremists linked to Al-Qaeda, remains dogged by complaints of abuses in its counter-insurgency campaigns.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:68
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:120
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:154
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:82
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:101
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC