CELEBRATORY gunfire killed a four-year-old boy and over 200 others were injured by powerful firecrackers in typically rowdy New Year celebrations in Metro Manila, officials said on Tuesday.
A bullet hit the boy in the back as he was playing outside his home in Mandaluyong, said P/Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina.
He said that police launched an investigation to trace the gun owner but admitted it may take time in a country where unlicensed firearms are widespread.
"We caught 10 people firing indiscriminately, most of them were private security guards who were drunk," he said over dzBB radio.
Espina said that policemen found to have fired their guns to usher in the New Year would also be disciplined.
The Health department said that 214 people across the capital had been injured by firecrackers as of the early hours of Tuesday.
Among them was a teenage boy whose hand had to be amputated.
"He picked up what he thought was an unlit firecracker left on the road. It exploded in his hand," the boy's mother, Mariel Lou Pateno, said at the packed trauma section of one government hospital.
"We hope the numbers will not rise but we are expecting more to arrive within the day," Alfonso Nunez, one of the doctors at the hospital who worked through the night, told reporters.
An Agence France-Presse photographer saw two men in their 50s in hospital with burns to the eyes and face due to firecrackers.
The fire department said that 12 blazes were reported overnight, including a school that caught fire due to fireworks near a sprawling slum area in Manila.
No one was injured in the fires although dozens of families were left homeless, the fire department center said.
It is a tradition in the mostly Catholic nation of about 100 million to greet the New Year by making noise, in a belief it will drive bad spirits away.
However, hundreds are hurt annually by firecrackers and stray bullets, despite strict orders from President Benigno Aquino 3rd for police to clamp down on guns and ban powerful firecrackers.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:68
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:153
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:81
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:101
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more