MANILA: Philippine torture victims under the 20-year regime of Ferdinand Marcos vented their anger Wednesday at a government plan to wind down its hunt for the late dictator's embezzled billions.
The proposal, now under consideration by President Benigno Aquino, would give the signal that people in power can commit crimes with impunity, said the group which calls itself Selda, the local word for a prison cell.
"We cannot just forgive and forget what the Marcoses did to us, nor must the Aquino government stop pursuing justice for martial law victims and the rest of the Filipinos," the group said in a statement.
The Presidential Commission on Good Government, the agency tasked with recovering the Marcos wealth, said last month that it would soon wind down its operations after almost 30 years.
Its head Andres Bautista told AFP he had recommended to Aquino that the agency's work be transferred to the justice department.
He said pursuing all of the Marcos wealth on a limited budget had become difficult with Marcos's widow, Imelda, and her three children back in positions of power.
Both Aquino spokesman Edwin Lacierda as well as the justice department confirmed Wednesday that the proposal had been sent to Aquino, and that it was under study.
Marcos was toppled by a popular revolt in 1986 and replaced by Corazon Aquino, the incumbent's late mother. Her first act was to create the commission to try to recover the plundered assets.
Bautista said the commission has recovered 164 billion pesos ($4 billion at the prevailing exchange rate), or less than half of the estimated 10 billion dollars in wealth believed plundered by the Marcos family.
Selda groups anti-Marcos activists who were jailed and abused during martial law. A US court in 2011 awarded some 7,500 rights victims 7.5 million dollars in compensation for their suffering, in what was seen largely as a token victory.
The funds came from assets held in the US by a crony of Marcos that were seized.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:68
By : AFP
MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:120
By : AFP
DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:153
By : AFP
MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:81
By : AFP
PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:101
By : AFP
A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more