checkmate

Crashed US drone found in Philippines: navy

MANILA: A US drone believed to be used for reconnaissance was recovered on Monday in waters off the central Philippines, police and naval authorities said.



Fishermen found the 3.65 metre (12-foot) drone floating off Masbate island and dragged it to shore, said provincial police chief Senior Superintendent Heriberto Olitoquit.

They had initially thought it was a bomb and alerted police about the unusual discovery, Olitoquit said.

"A technical evaluation determined that the object is one Unmanned Aerial Vehicle," Olitoquit told reporters.

Olitoquit said the drone had been turned over to the Philippine Navy, which would then conduct a thorough investigation of the drone.

"It appears to have been floating for quite some time," Captain Rommel Galang, deputy commander of naval forces in the area, told AFP.

"We will first study this drone but initially it appears to be a UAV used largely in reconnaissance."

He said it had inscriptions and a serial number that "indicate it is an American drone".

Galang said the US embassy had been informed of the discovery and local authorities would eventually turn it over to them.

A spokeswoman for the US embassy was not immediately available to comment.

In an interview with AFP last year, President Benigno Aquino confirmed that the Philippines has been allowing US drones to overfly its territory for reconnaissance flights, but were not allowed to make strikes.

About 600 US forces have been rotating in the southern Philippines since 2002 as part of the US government's global war on terror.

However the drone was found in Masbate, many hundreds of kilometres from the Muslim insurgency-racked areas where no US troops are known to operate.

Masbate is one of the areas where communists waging a decades-long rebellion have long operated.

Breaking News

Philippine group says China firm vital for gas project

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:68
By : AFP

MANILA: A Philippine consortium insisted Thursday a gas project in the disputed South China Sea could only work with the involvement of a Chinese firm, otherwise Beijing could make things difficult. Read more

Hostage-takers demand Algerian army pull out before talks

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:119
By : AFP

DUBAI: Islamist extremists holding 41 foreigners hostage at an Algerian gas field demanded Thursday the army withdraw from the location so that negotiations can begin, in an interview with Al-Jazeera news channel. Read more

US minesweeper runs aground in Philippines

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:153
By : AFP

MANILA: A US Navy minesweeper has run aground in a protected marine sanctuary in the Philippines, the US embassy in Manila said Thursday. Read more

Malaysians, Filipinos among Algeria hostages – report

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:81
By : AFP

PARIS: Malaysian and Filipinos are among the hostages being held at a gas field in Algeria, French news channel France 24 reported on Wednesday on the basis of what they said was a phone conversation with a Frenchman also being held. Read more

Birth control law too late for PH mum of 22

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:101
By : AFP

A HISTORIC birth control law that took effect in the Philippines on Thursday after years of opposition from the Catholic Church came too late for Rosalie Cabenan, a housewife who has given birth 22 times. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC