checkmate

BRITISH BOXER HATTON SET FOR EMOTIONAL RETURN

British boxer Ricky Hatton during training. AFP PHOTO



MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Ricky Hatton is set for a night of tears, win or lose, when the former world champion returns to the ring on Saturday after a three-and-a-half year retirement.


During that time the 34-year-old Englishman has battled alcohol and drug problems, depression and suicidal thoughts.

But he sought refuge from his trouble by embarking upon a comeback in front of his Manchester home crowd.

Britain’s most popular boxer of the modern era, whom it was reported attracted a crowd of 18,000 travelling fans to Las Vegas for his points defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2007, faces Ukrainian Vyacheslav Senchenko in a welterweight contest at the Manchester Arena that he claims is all about “redemption.”

Hatton’s problems started when he was knocked out by Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao in two rounds in May 2009.

The Manchester boxer was left haunted by the savage defeat—one of only two professional losses—and his personal life descended into chaos.

A former world champion at light-welterweight and welterweight, Hatton piled on the pounds as he drank excessively but during a training session at his gym in Hyde, on the outskirts of Manchester, this week he appeared to be in good physical and mental shape.

“I’ve come back to win a world title and end my career the way I should have ended it,” Hatton told Agence France-Presse.

“I have more hunger now than when I fought Kostya Tszyu [in 2005]. No one thought I could beat him. Getting flattened by Pacquiao, the personal problems and the rest of it—put that together and that’s what Senchenko has got coming to him.

“Just because you’re the world champion, and everybody thinks the sun shines out of you’re arse, doesn’t mean you’re any different to the next man.

“I’ve got this lovely gym and a nice house and boxing has been very, very good to me. But that couldn’t do anything for me when I wanted to kill myself.”

There has been talk of future fights against fellow Britons Amir Khan and Kell Brook but Hatton knows the length of his comeback will hinge on how he fares against Senchenko, who earlier this year was the World Boxing Association welterweight champion.

“It all depends on the manner of the performance on November 24 as to whether it happens or doesn’t happen,” he said. “If I stink the place out I could retire and say I gave it my best shot.

“I want my family, fans and community to be proud of me and not remember me for the Pacquiao loss and all the bad stuff that has happened to me in the last three years.”

Hatton is sure to be roared on by thousands of loyal fans from the moment he makes his way to the ring on Saturday.

However, he stressed the need to make sure he kept on top of his emotions—at least until the contest was over.

“I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to hold it together after the fight but before it, it’s what I’ve got to do— that’s what a champion has to do.

“But let’s not have another Manny Pacquiao revisited where I’m like a chicken with no head.”     

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:912
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:287
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:156
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:176
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:700
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC