checkmate

VILORIA SETS EYES ON IBF, WBC FLYWEIGHT TITLES

Brian “The Hawaiian Punch” Viloria PHOTO BY EDWIN MULI

 

 

Fresh from unifying the World Boxing Organization (WBO) and the World Boxing Association (WBA) titles via his victory over Mexican Hernan Marquez last week, Filipino-American champion Brian “The Hawaiian Punch” Viloria is now setting his eyes on the World Boxing Council (WBC) and International Boxing Federation (IBF) crowns.


“There’s also the possibility for me to unify all four titles. So, I might as well go for four and I’m already halfway there. What’s two more, but we’ll see what the possibilities are,” Viloria told reporters during the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum on Tuesday in Manila.

If ever Viloria (32-3 win-loss record with 19 knockouts) accomplished the feat, he would ascend to the level of American middleweight champions Jermain Taylor and Bernard Hopkins who all won the WBO, WBC, WBA and IBF crowns.

“I will keep on fighting until I feel my body is not responding to the way I want it to then I am looking at hanging up my gloves,” said Viloria, who arrived in Manila on Saturday.

Viloria, 32, also dismissed the idea of moving up from flyweight to bantamweight, “I feel great. I don’t feel my age and I feel like I’m 23. I’m treating my body right and doing the right things at training camp. I see bigger challenges ahead,” he said, adding, “Thinking of going up to 115lbs, get a title then maybe go up to 118lbs. We’ll see. I’m taking it one step at a time. We don’t want to go too far ahead of ourselves.”

Viloria said that there is no final word yet on who his next opponent will be.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:912
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:287
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:156
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:176
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:700
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC