checkmate

Donaire risks WBO belt against Arce

Nonito Donaire Jr. AFP FILE PHOTO



HOUSTON, Texas: Filipino boxing star Nonito Donaire Jr. seeks his 30th victory in a row on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) when he defends the World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight crown against Mexican veteran Jorge Arce.


Donaire, 30-1 with 19 knockouts, beat South African Jeffrey Mathebula in July and Japan’s Toshiaki Nishioka in October after taking the title with a split decision last February over Puerto Rico’s Wilfredo Vazquez.

“My speed is there. My power is there so he needs to keep a distance,” said Donaire. “But he needs to be in front of me all the time, so it’s going to be a war. That’s what Arce needs to do because that’s the only way he can win.”

Arce, who at 33 gives away three years to his larger opponent, predicted this would be the high point of his boxing career, one that has seen him go 61-6 with two drawn and 46 knockouts.

“I’m excited because it will be the best fight of my life,” Arce said. “I’m not going to make any predictions for this fight, just a promise that it will be a great fight.”

Arce has nine wins and a draw since last being beaten by South African Simphiwe Nongqayi in 2009—a defeat Arce avenged last year.

Donaire has not been beaten since 2001 in the second fight of his career.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:905
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:286
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:155
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:174
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:699
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC