checkmate

Arce vows to extend Mexicans’ celebration

Nonito Donaire of the Philippines (left) and Jorge Arce of Mexico (right) pose on stage after their official weigh-in at the PlazAmericas Mall on Friday in Houston, Texas. AFP PHOTO

 

 

 

Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire Jr. will defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight belt against Mexican Jorge Arce on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) at the Toyota Center in Houston Texas, USA.


“You can expect the best of me because I really feel great. I’m excited,” the 30-year-old Donaire told boxing website www.philboxing.com.

Donaire (30-1 win-loss card with 19 knockouts) is entering the bout at 121.5 pounds, while Arce (60-6-2 slate with 46 KOs) tipped the scales at 122 pounds.

Donaire is in for a serious fight as Arce is keen on extending the Mexicans’ celebration promising he would knock out The Filipino Flash. Just last Sunday, Juan Manuel Marquez scored a sixth round knockout victory against Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao. Prior to his sound defeat to Marquez, Pacquiao earned the moniker “Mexecutioner” for beating several Mexican pugs such as Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and Oscar de la Hoya. Pacquiao though rejected the “Mexecutioner” tag.

“What happened last week in Las Vegas with Pacquiao and Marquez is going to happen again. Although he is the best fighter out there, I will surprise all of you. “I will knockout Donaire too,” Arce, 33, told espn.com writer Dan Rafael.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:905
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:286
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:155
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:174
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:699
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC