
| A family waits for the next available flight at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. Dozens of flights were cancelled because of storm Quinta. PHOTO BY MIGUEL DE GUZMAN |
Storm Quinta (international codename: Wukong) made landfall six times but it was too weak to cause much damage in Eastern Visayas. The storm is expected to blow out of the country today after it was downgraded into a tropical depression.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that so far, no person was reported dead, injured or missing because of the storm.
“(It caused) only landslide and flooding, nothing more. This is good news,” Benito Ramos, NDRRMC executive director, said. “Hopefully, it goes out without leaving any casualty.”
Weather forecaster Samuel Duran said that the storm has accelerated. As of Wednesday afternoon, Quinta had maximum sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour (kph) but no gustiness.
The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) expects the storm to be 270 kilometers west of Coron, Palawan this morning, and to be outside the country by evening.
But while the tropical depression is headed out of the country, some areas remain under storm signals.
Pagasa retained public storm warning signal no. 1 in the Mindoro provinces, Romblon, Masbate, Burias Island, North Palawan including Calamian Islands, Marinduque, Aklan, Capiz, Antique, Iloilo, Negros provinces, Cebu, and Guimaras.
It also warned people living in low lying and mountainous areas under public storm warning signal no. 1 against possible flash floods and landslides.
Fishing boats and other small sea craft were also advised not to venture out into the seaboards of Luzon and Visayas and over the northern seaboard of Mindanao.
Despite Quinta’s reduced strength, it still maintained its 350-kilometer diameter, with estimated rainfall of about five to 15 millimeters per hour (moderate to heavy).
Thousands stranded
The NDRRMC said that some 6,000 people were stranded in various ports nationwide due to Quinta’s heavy rain.
Ramos said that at least two roads have been damaged by the storm. Floods also forced the closure of a road near Taft town in Eastern Samar.
Ports in Visayas were closed, along with those in Sorsogon in the Bicol region.
Seaport operations were suspended, too, in Roxas in Oriental Mindoro (Dangay to Caticlan), and Puerto Princesa Port in Palawan (Puerto Princesa to Cuyo, Iloilo).
Meanwhile, buses traveling via the roll-on-roll-off nautical highway with destination points in Southern Luzon and Iloilo were advised to suspend trips.
The storm has also caused the cancellation of flights to the Visayas and Bicol regions on Wednesday.
Zest Air earlier cancelled its Manila-Tacloban-Manila, and Manila-Masbate-Manila flights. Manila-Kalibo-Manila flights were also cancelled.
The bad weather also affected AirPhil Express’ Manila-Masbate and Manila-Tuguegarao-Manila flights.
Budget carrier Cebu Pacific Air announced that at least 39 flights had been cancelled due to the storm.
Quinta entered the PAR on Christmas Day, placing 17 areas in Luzon and Visayas under public storm signals.
Three weeks before it arrived, Typhoon Pablo (international codename: Bopha) hit Visayas and Mindanao, causing the death of more than a thousand and the loss of P37 billion pesos to damages.
WITH REPORTS FROM WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL, RITCHIE A. HORARIO AND BENJIE VERGARA
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:900
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:285
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:154
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:173
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:699
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more