checkmate

Pacquiao camp says champ in good health

Manny Pacquiao. AFP File Photo


An insider from the camp of Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao announced that the former pound-for-pound king is in good health and is not suffering from any serious disease.



“Personally, I was surprised to hear that news but that’s nothing. He is physically fine and there is nothing to worry about his health,” Pacquiao’s long-time lawyer Franklin Gacal told The Manila
Times in a telephone interview. Gacal is responding to the statement of physician Rustico Jimenez, the president of Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, saying that Pacquiao’s stuttering and hand twitching could be early symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. The ailment, which is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system commonly afflicts boxers. Some of the most famous pugs suffering from Parkinson’s disease are Muhammad Ali and Pacquiao’s coach Freddie Roach.

Gacal said that Pacquiao told him that he is OK and doesn’t feel any discomfort since his sixth round knockout loss against Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez last month. The champ is currently on vacation in Israel with his family.

Gacal also stressed that Pacquiao has no connection whatsoever with Jimenez.

“Manny has his own doctors and we don’t care about his own [Jimenez’s] medical opinion.

Manny was checked by specialists in the US also and everything is fine. At the same time, he will undergo more tests but we are confident there’s nothing to worry and he can still fight,” Gacal said.

The lawyer added that he doubt if Pacquiao would take seriously Jimenez’s opinion, “I’m sure Manny will not entertain his [Jimenez’s] personal point of view.”

 Pacquiao is expected to fight again in September possibly against Marquez for the fifth time.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:898
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:283
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:152
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:172
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:699
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC