
| A man guards the image of the Black Nazarene at the Quirino Grandstand, where the yearly humungous procession will start. Millions of devotees are expected to join the hours-long parade, most of them unshod. PHOTO BY RENE H. DILAN |
About six million to eight million devotees are expected to join the yearly procession of the Black Nazarene today, which will begin at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila.
Msgr. Jose Clemente Ignacio, rector of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene on Quiapo Church, said that he expects the number of devotees who will join the procession this year to be the same as that of last year’s.
“[The number] might still be the same but I don’t know if there will be an increase,” Ignacio said.
The celebration of this year’s Feast of the Black Nazarene will begin with a Mass at 6 a.m. to be presided by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle.
The traditional procession, which usually lasts from 10 to 12 hours, lasted for 22 hours in 2012.
Hourly masses will also be celebrated at the Quiapo Church from 3 a.m. until 12 noon and will resume from 3 p.m. until 9 p.m.
Devotees believe that those who are able to touch the image of the Black Nazarene will be blessed.
The Black Nazarene, a life-sized, dark-skinned statue of Jesus Christ has been enshrined in the Quiapo Church since the 1787.
The image miraculously survived fires that destroyed the Quiapo Church in 1791 and 1929, the great earthquakes of 1645 and 1863, and the Second World War bombings in 1945.
Traffic advisories
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) advised motorists to expect heavy traffic on both lanes of Roxas Boulevard and Bonifacio Drive, from Anda Circle to T.M. Kalaw, Quezon Boulevard southbound lane from Recto to Palanca (subway-Isetann, Recto), Lerma from Padre Campa to Quezon Boulevard; westbound lane of Taft Avenue/Finance and Lagusnilad/Padre Burgos, P. Burgos/Taft Avenue from Freedom Triangle up to northbound lane, Villegas/N.A Lopez and southbound lane of 25th Street/Bonifacio Drive.
Closed to public utility vehicles starting at 4 a.m. on Wednesday are the southbound lane of Quezon Boulevard (Quiapo), from Andalucia/Fugoso to Plaza Miranda and Espana/P. Campa/Lerma. By 5 a.m., total closure of the said thoroughfares will be implemented for all types of vehicles.
The Metropolitan department also reminded devotees to be careful in passing McArthur bridge and Quezon bridge because the bridges were earlier found to have inferior structural integrity.
The Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA), meanwhile, clarified on Tuesday that there will be no free rides for devotees of the Black Nazarene, although they will be allowed to ride barefoot on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line 1.
Hernando Cabrera, LRTA spokesman, said that the LRT coaches are ready to accommodate the influx of devotees.
Cabrera also said that LRTA personnel have already taken steps and beefed up security measures.
‘Dispose garbage properly’
Sen. Loren Legarda asked devotees to maintain cleanliness in all areas where the procession will pass by.
“The Feast of the Black Nazarene is a very important day for many Filipinos, especially for the devotees. But every year as this religious occasion is held, tons of garbage are left behind,” she said.
According to the Metro Parkway Cleanup Group of the MMDA, some 1,000 sacks of garbage were collected after the procession last year.
“I would also like to stress the importance of safety and security for all the devotees. Let us take great pains in order to ensure that no one is injured or killed,” the senator added.
Health reminders
The Department of Health urged parents not to bring their young children.
The Health department said that children are likely to suffer injuries because of the usual jostling during the parade.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona also said that small children and infants are vulnerable to diseases and
can get sick easily in crowded environments.
Besides children, he previously advised elderly people to refrain from joining the procession.
Black Nazarene devotees were also advised to bring enough food and drinking water for their own consumption.
“It would be more practical and healthy for devotees to bring their own food and snacks to the procession. Avoid street foods as these are exposed to dust particles and other pollutants in the streets and are sometimes unsanitary,” Ona said.
The department, Ona said, will deploy emergency health teams, which will be stationed at the Quirino Grandstand near Museo Pambata, National Museum, Post office, Liwasan Bonifacio, near the Metropolitan Theater, near Quiapo Church, at the City State Hotel along Quezon Boulevard, in front of a 7-11 store in the northbound lane of Quezon Boulevard, University of Santo Tomas and along Lerma and Palanca streets.
The Health agency also prepared ambulance teams from government-run hospitals.
The Philippine Red Cross has also set up search and rescue, first aid, health and water stations, and welfare desks in various strategic areas.
It also deployed some 500 staff and volunteers from national headquarters and 10 Red Cross chapters to man the stations and provide assistance to emergency cases.
Code White Alert is up in all Metro Manila hospitals, with the Health department continuously monitoring the event at its Quiapo Command Post.
With reports from Ritchie A. Horario, Fatima Cielo B. Cancel And Jing Villamente
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:896
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:283
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:152
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:172
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:699
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more