checkmate

Drone found in Masbate launched from Guam

San Jacinto, MASBATE, PHILIPPINES : This undated handout photo released by Philippine National Police-Masbate (PNP-Masbate) on January 8, 2013 shows a US drone lying along the beach in San Jacinto town, Masbate province, in central Philippines after fishermen found it floating off the waters in Masbate. "AFP PHOTO/P03 ERWIN YUSI RIVERA/PNP-MASBATE

 

 

 

 

 

 

The unmanned United States drone discovered by fishermen off the waters of Masbate province was not part of any joint exercises between American and Philippine military forces, the US Embassy in Manila said on Tuesday.


The American embassy said that the drone, an expanded BQM-74E Aerial Target, was launched from the USS Chafee (DDG 90), during the Valiant Shield 2012 exercise in Guam on September 19, 2012.

“It appears that ocean currents brought the drone to where it washed ashore last week off Masbate Island,” the embassy said.

On Sunday, Masbate fishermen discovered the drone, which the embassy said was unarmed and unmanned.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines also confirmed on Tuesday that the drone that was recovered off Ticao Island in Masbate was not a spy or surveillance-type plane nor was used in military operations.

Col. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr., military spokesman, said that the Philippines and US navies did not used drones during joint military exercises.

The Senate committee on foreign relations demanded an explanation from the Visiting Forces Agreement Commission (VFA).

Sen. Loren Legarda, chairman of the committee, said that the recovery of the drone raises serious concern on national security and the VFA commission should submit a through report to the committee.

The department of Foreign Affairs, however, said that the Philippine government has been assured by the US Embassy that the aerial vehicle “is by design and purpose, solely used for target practice and not armed or used for surveillance.”

“The presence and activities of US military personnel in the Philippines is governed by the VFA between the Philippines and the US. This matter will be dealt with in accordance with the treaty obligations contained in this agreement,” Raul Hernandez, Foreign Affairs spokesman, said.

US drones are allowed to make reconnaissance flights on Philippine aerial territory, but they are not allowed to make strikes.

The VFA that was entered into by Manila and Washington also allows US troops to train their Filipino counterparts in various military activities, especially pertaining to antiterrorism campaigns.

Bernice Camille V. Bauzon , William B. Depasupil, Jefferson Antiporda and Rhaydz B. Barcia

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:896
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:283
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:152
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:172
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:699
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC