
| A Chinese excavator and rescue workers search for buried residents in a disaster-hit area in Gaopo Village, southwest China’s Yunnan province. AFP PHOTO |
BEIJING: A desperate search for three people missing in a landslide in southwestern China ended on Saturday when their bodies were pulled from the mud, taking the final death toll to 46—many of them children.
Authorities in Yunnan province said that the last three bodies were recovered on Saturday after a night of frantic efforts by over 1,000 rescue workers to locate the final missing residents of the remote village of Gaopo.
The official Xinhua news agency said that those buried included 27 adults and 19 children.
Two other people were hospitalized after the landslide struck on Friday, engulfing 16 homes, bringing a thunderous crash and throwing up thick clouds of dust, Xinhua said.
Rescuers toiled into the night, braving bitter wind and freezing temperatures, using lamps and specialized detection devices in the hope of locating the missing. Soldiers, police, fire-fighters and mine rescue workers joined the search operation, using 20 excavators and trucks, Xinhua said.
Xinhua said that the landslide had been triggered by 10 days of nonstop rain and snow, according to initial geologists’ reports.
The area has experienced unusually low temperatures in recent weeks during what authorities have called China’s coldest winter in 28 years.
The landslide spread over an area 120 meters long, 110m wide and 16m deep, according to authorities.
Li Yongju, 50, said that she heard the crash of the landslide while cleaning her yard and rushed with other villagers to the disaster site with shovels and hoes.
“We pulled out several people, one of whom was breathing weakly. But after a while, he died,” Xinhua quoted Li as saying.
Zhou Benju, wept as she recounted hearing the rumble of the landslide.
“Several relatives of my parents—my grandma, brother, uncle and my aunt’s family members, died,” she told Xinhua.
Hundreds of thousands of messages of support had been posted on microblogging site Sina Weibo.
Photos on Yunnan Web, run by the Yunnan government, showed rescuers in orange uniforms digging into wide swathes of mud against a backdrop of snow-covered, terraced hills.
A video posted on a Chinese social networking site appeared to show a group of villagers digging through thick mud and debris to uncover a body, which was carried away on a stretcher.
The Communist Party’s top leaders Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang, along with Premier Wen Jiabao, ordered “all-out efforts to rescue victims”, Xinhua said.
Yunnan, which borders Myan-mar, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, is a relatively poor part of China where rural houses are often cheaply constructed.
Gaopo is in Zhenxiong county, in the northeast of Yunnan, a temperate province known for its tobacco industry and for being the home of Pu’er tea.
But its mountainous areas are prone to landslides and earthquakes. Two quakes in September—one of magnitude 5.7—left 81 dead and hundreds injured.
A neighboring county was hit by a landslide in October that killed 18 children, after one that killed 216 people in 1991, according to the United States Geological Survey.
An earthquake in neighboring Sichuan province in 2008 claimed about 70,000 lives—the worst natural disaster to hit China in three decades, with shoddy buildings blamed for the high toll.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:857
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:275
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:147
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:167
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:690
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more