checkmate

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-night event on the network. The special episode of ‘Oprah’s Next Chapter’ will air on Thursday (Friday in Manila) and on Friday (Saturday in Manila). The interview will be simultaneously streamed live worldwide both nights on ‘Oprah.com.’ AFP PHOTO








WASHINGTON, D.C.: Lance Armstrong “came clean” to Oprah Winfrey on his use of performance enhancing drugs, the talk show host said Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) ahead of the much-awaited telecast of her interview with the disgraced cyclist.


Winfrey told CBS This Morning that her OWN cable network will broadcast the two-and-a-half-hour interview unedited over two nights from Thursday. Originally, a shorter broadcast was planned for one night only.

“I didn’t get all the questions asked, but I think the most important questions and the answers that people around the world have been waiting to hear were answered,” Winfrey said.

“I can only say I was satisfied by the answers.”

The interview is Armstrong’s first since he was stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles after the US Anti-Doping Agency, in a 1,000-page report, put him at the heart of the greatest doping scandal in the annals of cycling.

For a decade he had vigorously denied using banned substances to win his way into the history books.

Prior to sitting down with Winfrey in a hotel suite in his hometown of Austin, Texas on Monday, Armstrong, 41, went to the offices of Livestrong, the cancer charity he founded in 1997, and apologized in person to its staff.

“Lance came to the Livestrong Foundation’s headquarters [and] offered a sincere and heartfelt apology for the stress they’ve endured because of him,” Livestrong spokeswoman Rae Bazzarre told Agence France-Presse.

Speaking from Chicago, Winfrey—when asked if Armstrong had “come clean” to her—said she and Arm-strong had agreed at the outset not to talk about the content of the interview prior to its broadcast.

But a source in the Armstrong camp with knowledge of the interview confirmed to Agence France-Presse that the Texan admitted to Winfrey using banned substances in his career.

“And then, by the time I left Austin and landed in Chicago, you [the news media] all had already confirmed it,” she told “CBS This Morning,” a breakfast news program.

“So I’m like, ‘How did you all do that?’ We all agreed that we weren’t going to say anything.”

Winfrey, 58, said she went into “the biggest interview I’ve ever done” with 112 questions and grilled Armstrong so intensely that, during a break at the 100-minute mark, Armstrong asked if their conversation might lighten up.

With a world-class scoop on her hands, Winfrey flew home to Chicago with the video tape in her handbag “along with my dog food” for fear it might be pilfered if beamed back to the editing room via satellite.

“I would say he did not come clean in the manner that I expected,” she added. “It was surprising to me. I would say that for myself, my team, all of us in the room, we were mesmerized and riveted by some of his answers.”

“I felt that he was thoughtful. I thought that he was serious . . . I would say that he met the moment.”

In Lausanne, Switzerland, cycling’s world governing body, the International Cycling Union, called for Armstrong to give evidence to its ongoing investigation into widespread doping in the wake of his Winfrey interview.

Elsewhere, the South Australian state government said it would be “more than happy” for Armstrong to repay his appearance money from the Tour Down Under event, but it had no legal power to make him do so.

Armstrong took part in the event for three years running from 2009, raising cycling’s profile and boosting participation by amateur riders. He was reportedly paid millions of dollars to appear.          

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:850
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:273
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:144
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:164
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:687
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC