checkmate

Court clears Delfin Lee cohort in P6.6-B case

THE Department of Justice (DOJ) has suffered a legal setback after the Court of Appeals (CA) dismissed the P6.1-billion syndicated estafa charges against the co-accused of real estate

tycoon Delfin Lee arising from the P6.6-billion loans given by the Home Development Mutual Fund, or Pag-ibig Fund, to the company through “special buyers” and “ghost borrowers.”

The CA’s Special 10th Division in a 34-page ruling partiallygranted the petition for certiorari and prohibition filed by petitioner Christina Sagun, documentation head of Globe Asiatique (GA), where Lee is the president.

According to the ruling dated October 5, 2012, the DOJ committed grave abuse of discretion when it included Sagun as one of the accused in the case.

In its ruling, the appeals court stated that Sagun sufficiently proved that she had no knowledge or participation in the supposed GA questionable transactions.

The appellate tribunal further held that the department erred in saying that it found probable cause to indict Sagun in court for the said crime.

The case stemmed from the DOJ’s indictment of Lee and other GA officials—his son Dexter, the company’s executive vice president and chief finance officer; Sagun, former chief of GA’s documentation department; Cristina Salagan, head of the company’s accounting/finance department.

The manager of Pag-ibig’s foreclosure department—lawyer Alex Alvarez—was also indicted.

The respondents allegedly conspired to use fake borrowers to become “instant” Pag-ibig members, so that they could get housing loans, which after confirmation showed that some purported buyers had no knowledge of having availed of the loans to buy housing units at Xevera Bacolor subdivision in Bacolor town, Pampanga province.

GA was allegedly able to get over P6 billion in loans from Pag-ibig, representing 9,951 accounts, for two years.

Pag-IBIG signed an agreement with GA for the piloting of the special membership program through the Xevera Bacolor Project on June 20, 2008.

Pursuing the fight
THE government will appeal the decision of the Court of Appeals (CA) dismissing the syndicated estafa case filed against an executive of housing developer Globe Asiatique (GA).

Vice President Jejomar Binay on Thursday directed housing lawyers to file a motion for reconsideration before the CA following its ruling that the syndicated estafa case against GA executive was junked.

 “We will pursue our fight for justice for the ordinary Filipino workers who have been victimized by Globe Asiatique. We are confident the CA will reconsider its decision,” he said.

Binay is also the chairman of Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) and the Board of Home Development Mutual (Pag-Ibig) Fund.

HUDCC Assistant Secretary Danilo Subido described the CA’s decision as “hollow victory” for GA, saying that the Pampanga Regional Trial Court had already issued arrest warrants for the five accused.

With a report from Ritchie A. Horario

Nation

‘Poor survey ratings point to LP bets biting dust’

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:199
By : Llanesca T. Panti Reporter

The poor showing of the Senate bets of the administration’s Liberal Party coalition in opinion surveys shows that they are biting dust against their rivals from the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA). Read more

QC taxpayers cry through sufferings

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:96
By : Jing Villamente

Taxpayers who shoulder the burden of paying for salaries of government officials and workers are largely taken for granted in Quezon City. Read more

Carbon dioxide dropped from DOTC monitor list

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:80
By : Jefferson Antiporda

The Transportation department order removing Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from the list of monitored gases in the mandatory vehicle emission test should conform with the policies set by Clean Air Act and President Aquino’s National Plan on Climate Change acc... Read more

Chillier days-and nights-coming to Metro Manila

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:62
By : Francis Earl Cueto

STATE forecasters said Filipinos even those in Metro Manila should brace for colder teperatures, as it may go down to as low as 20 degrees Celsius. Read more

Fire guts 20 houses in Makati

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:66
By : Ritchie A. Horario

AT least 20 houses were gutted when a fire fanned by strong winds razed in Barangay Poblacion in Makati City on Thursday. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC