The National Press Club (NPC) today expressed dismay over a ruling of the Court of Appeals (CA) declaring as “null and void” the finding of a panel formed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) linking former Palawan Gov. Joel Reyes and his brother to the murder last year of Puerto Princesa City broadcaster, Gerardo “Doc Gerry” Ortega.
“This ruling quashed all hopes that Doc. Gerry would be finally given justice while also putting into doubt the DOJ’s credibility to resolve cases of extra-judicial killings in general and assault on members of the press in particular,” Benny Antiporda, NPC president said.
According to the CA, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima committed “grave abuse of discretion” and violated its own procedures when she created another review panel in September 2011 that indicted Reyes and his brother, Coron Mayor Mario Reyes, for the murder of Ortega after the first DOJ panel probing the case has absolved them.
“While we also lament the fact that the CA resorted to legal technicalities to settle the issue in favour of the suspects, it also glaringly showed the haphazard manner by which the DOJ handled Doc Gerry’s murder case,” Antiporda said.
“Relating this development to the bigger picture of extra-judicial killings (EJK) in general that the Aquino administration said it wants to be solved with the creation of a new ‘human rights superbody,’ participation therein by the DOJ can only raise fear and apprehension on the part of the media and the families of the victims,” he added.
Despite the CA ruling, Antiporda assured the family of Ortega that the NPC would “continue with its unwavering support” until justice for his death is achieved.
“At the same time, the NPC would also support any suit that they intend to file against those DOJ officials who completely bungled this case,” Antiporda said.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:340
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:250
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:227
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:215
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:341
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more