Relatives of the victims of the “Maguindanao Massacre’’ got a small yuletide gift yesterday as a Quezon City court handling the case ordered the arraignment of former governor Zaldy Ampatuan of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, on the multiple murder charges filed against him.
In a five-page order, Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 said that the court finds “no cogent reason to reconsider” the motions for reconsideration filed by Ampatuan.
Reyes move was prompted by the Supreme Court third division decision on Wednesday, denying with finality the second motion for reconsideration of Ampatuan.
“Accordingly, let the arraignment of accused Datu Zaldy ‘Puti’ Ampatuan be set on December 12, 2012 at 9 in the morning to be held at Quezon City Jail-Annex, Camp Bagong Diwa, Bicutan, Taguig City,” said the decision.
Reyes said that “the court is of the view that [the] arraignment of accused movant can no longer be deferred” since the Court of Appeals and the High Court had already denied Ampatuan’s motions for reconsideration in November 8, 2011 and in August 15, 2012, respectively.
In her decision, Reyes said: “a personal and independent determination was made that there was a need to continue to hold accused-movant under detention in order not to frustrate the ends of justice, contrary to his claim that the [judicial] finding of probable cause was based on the findings of the prosecutors.”
“The Court is of the view that discussion of the other issues raised by accused-movant is no longer necessary as the same are mere rehash of the arguments he raised not only before the appellate court but also this court in support of his Omnibus Motion to defer, which were already discussed and passed upon at length in the Omnibus Order sought to be reconsidered,” the decision added.
Ampatuan is one of the 197 suspects tagged in the massacre that claimed the lives of 58 people, including at least 32 media practitioners.
Other members of his family, including his father, former governor Andal Ampantuan Sr. of Maguindanao province and his brother former mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr. Datu Unsay, were among those who were accused of masterminding the massacre.
Based on court records, only 81 including Andal Sr. and Andal Jr. of the 100 suspects arrested have already been arraigned.
Earlier this week, the prosecution panel also urged the court to arraign Zaldy’s brother former mayor Anwar Ampatuan Sr. of Shariff Aguak.
Other members of the Ampatuan clan who have yet to be arraigned include Anwar “Datu Ipi,” Anwar Sajid “Datu Ulo,” Datu Akmad Sr. and Datu Sajid Islam.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:339
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:249
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:226
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:214
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:340
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more