KEEPING up its end of the bargain, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wendesday handed over P22-milllion reward money to informants were vital in the capture and neutralization of top terrorists and communist rebels this year.
The Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, J2, Maj. Gen. Francisco N. Cruz Jr. presided the awarding ceremony at the OJ2 multipurpose hall in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City.
The rewards system, which was facilitated by the AFP and Philippine National Police (PNP) National Joint Reward Valuation Committee, encouraged individuals to participate in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism activities by providing pertinent information on wanted personalities.
As a result, Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) leader Ghumbahali Jumdail, alias Dr Abu, with reward money of P7.4-million, fell to authorities along with nine other ASG key members. Jumdail was among those that were neutralized in the air strike in Parang, Sulu last February that killed 15 known Jemaah Islamiyah and ASG leaders and members.
The other ASG members with rewards were ASG sub-leader Suhud Tanadjalin (killed), with P3.3-million; ASG key member Usman Said alias Kaiser Said (killed), with P1.2-million; and ASG members Imbo Bayani alias Sahibul Jamaani (killed), Harun Jaljalis (killed), Assan/Bin Laden alias Abu Usama (captured), Burrong Rasul Barro alias Abu Mohammad (captured), Rommel Abbas alias Abu Nick (captured), and Samsudin Musa alias Musa (captured) with P350,000 each.
Three members of the New People’s Army (NPA) were also on the list and they were led by Allan V Jazmines alias Tomas/Arthur with P5.6-million reward on his head. He was captured in February last year with 13 standing warrants of arrest for 14 cases of murder. The other two, Robertson Anchez alias Stanley/Felimon (killed) and Edgardo Sevilla alias Palong/Diego (captured), have P1.2-million each on their head for multiple cases of murder, robbery in band, and multiple frustrated murder.
The reward system for wanted ASG leaders and members was activated on June 12, 2001 as the government intensified its pursuit of terrorists that pose danger and threat to communities and individuals. Meanwhile, the reward system for wanted insurgents was activated in June 30, 2006. Cohorts and other terrorist personalities were then included in the reward system in October 2007.
We recognize the efforts of these concerned individuals who continue to step up in helping the government, the AFP, and the PNP in the campaign to protect our people from the danger posed by terrorists and lawless elements. The monetary reward is a recognition and appreciation of their bravery in helping to curb criminality,” AFP Chief of Staff General Jessie Dellosa said.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:338
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:249
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:226
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:214
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:340
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more