checkmate

ILO DARED TO ACT ON LACK OF JOBS

THE militant group Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) on Monday dared the International Labor Organization’s (ILO) Director General Guy Ryder to do something against the Aquino government’s violations of workers’ rights, saying that the government is chiefly responsible for the lack of decent jobs in the country.


During his visit to the country last week, the ILO chief observed that despite the Aquino government’s claims of economic growth, the Philippines lags behind many countries in terms of providing decent work.

“The sad state of workers’ rights in the country demand that the ILO director general, and the ILO as a whole, speak up and act against the government’s violations of these rights,” KMU Chairman, Elmer Labog, said in a statement.

“Workers’ rights to a living wage and job security and to unionize and strike have all been attacked by the Aquino government. This government has implemented major policies that trampled on these rights,” he added.

The group said that three of its members and one of its regional leaders have been slapped with false charges this year, all of whom have been ordered arrested by the courts.

Roy Velez (KMU-National Capital Region chairman), Amelita Gamara (KMU-NCR deputy secretary-general) and Ronald Ian Evidente (KMU-Negros spokesman) have all been charged of crimes in connection with activities of rebel group New People’s Army.

Meanwhile, Hermenegildo Marasigan (vice chairman of the Pagkakaisa ng mga Manggagawa sa Timog Katagalugan, KMU’s Southern Tagalog chapter) was charged in relation to an alleged scuffle that broke out in an anti-militarization protest in Laguna.

“We dare the ILO chief to speak up and do something against the Aquino government’s grave violations of workers’ rights. It’s the government that’s chiefly responsible for the dearth of decent work in the country,” Labog said.

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:336
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:248
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:225
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:213
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:339
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC