checkmate

SC urged to hasten ruling on junked party-listers

This Christmas season, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) wishes that the Supreme Court would hasten its decision process on the disallowed party-list groups seeking for candidacy in the May 2013 elections through the High Tribunal.



Dressed as a Santa Claus complete with white beard, Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. appealed to the high court to make the decision over the disqualified party-list groups quicker and hopefully it comes out before the reconfiguration of the precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines on January 11.

“Supreme Court, bilis-bilisan niyo nang mag-dismiss. Wag na kayong mag-issue ng SQAO [make the dismissal of cases faster. Do not issue SQA (status quo ante order) any more],” Brillantes told reporters.

A status quo ante order is issued by the High Court retains an existing party-list’s right to run in the next elections. So far, there were 33 party-list groups who sought the order. New party-lists who sought the order would not be included in the official ballot since ‘status quo’ means that they remain as an applicant; however, those who secured mandatory injunction would be allowed to run.

The poll chief said that the disqualification of Kabalikat ng Bayan para sa Kaunlaran party-list is a good sign that the court finally understood what the poll body did in cleaning the party-list system. The Court ruled that there is no “abuse of discretion” by the Comelec.

“Apparently, when the Supreme Court started to review, naintindihan na nila kung ano yung ginawa namin [they have grasped what we have done],” Brillantes said.

Brillantes noted that a political party can run under the party-list system provided that it is part of the marginalized sector and represent a particular sector in the society. 

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:336
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:248
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:225
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:213
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:339
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC