The government said on Saturday that it would never share power with communist rebels after they proposed an alliance in a bid to end a decades-long insurgency.
The rebels said that they had called this week during peace talks in the Dutch city of The Hague for the alliance to undertake programs aimed at ending the insurgency that has left tens of thousands dead.
Chief rebel negotiator Luis Jalandoni said that such programs would include agrarian reform, rural development and industrialization.
But the government peace negotiating office said in a statement: “The [government panel] will never agree to establish a coalition government or a power-sharing arrangement with” the National Democratic Front (NDF), the rebels’ political wing.
It also denied that there had been any discussion of a possible coalition when the government panel met with NDF negotiators in the informal, so-called “special track” meeting in the Netherlands.
“The matter on coalition government was never discussed in the recently concluded informal meeting on the special track. There was no such offer made by the NDF,” the office said.
During the meetings, the two sides agreed to a 26-day nationwide ceasefire from December 20 and to hold further talks on peace, human rights, land reform and national industrialization.
This week’s meeting marked the resumption of talks after the Communist Party of the Philippines pulled out of talks in November 2011 after Manila rejected rebel demands.
The two sides resumed low-level “backroom” negotiations in June.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:336
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:248
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:225
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:213
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:338
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more