checkmate

PDEA arrests drug group leader, three members

The notorious leader of a local drug group, together with three of its members, were arrested last week during the joint implementation of a search warrant by agents of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), Taguig City Police Office and the City of Taguig.


PDEA Director General Undersecretary Arturo Cacdac, Jr. identified the suspects as Fe Bergonia, 43 years old, married, resident of Blk 71 Lot 51, Phase 4, J.P. Rizal St., Upper Bicutan, Taguig City and leader of the Bergonia Drug Group; her sons, Tammy Bergonia, 21, and Randolph Bergonia, 19, both single; and Reynante Sabanal alias Don-don, 26, resident of 76B Champaca St., Western Bicutan, Taguig City.

Recovered from them were 15 sachets of shabu, assorted drug paraphernalia, a digital weighing scale, and five mobile phones allegedly used for their illegal transactions.

All four suspects are included in the watch-list and have been under intensive surveillance and investigation of PDEA Regional Office-National Capital Region under Director Wilkins Villanueva for two months.

They were arrested at Bergonia’s residence which is only a few blocks away from the Barangay Hall and merely a few feet from a private elementary school and a barangay outpost.

“For her notoriety, she (Fe Bergonia) was tagged as the ‘Shabu Queen’ of Taguig and had a warrant of arrest in 2004 for violation of the anti-drug law. After two years of elusive hiding, she was arrested in 2006 by the local police drug enforcement unit. She was released on bail, but continued with her operations until now. In addition to this, she even uses children as runners to do her dirty work,” Cacdac said.

The group supplies a “one-stop-shop” administration of shabu to drug dens within their vicinity and several parts of Metro Manila and their modus operandi is to exploit children as young as eight years old as couriers to conceal their operations.

Charges for violation of Section 11 (Possession of Dangerous Drugs) and Section 12 (Possession of Drug Paraphernalia), Article II of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, are being prepared against the suspects.

Cacdac said that the fall of this drug group is a huge accomplishment for law enforcers and for the local government in protecting the community especially the children from illegal drugs.

“This serves as a warning to pushers and suppliers of illegal drugs, we will continue to strengthen our operations in pursuing violators of the drug law” he added, emphasizing that the children deserve a good future and should be protected.

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:336
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:248
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:225
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:213
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:338
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC