checkmate

Court stops MIAA from awarding ad contracts

A Regional Trial Court of San Juan City stopped the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) from awarding a P126-million advertising space at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) terminal 2, following a temporary restraining order filed against them by an advertising firm.


MIAA general manager Jose Angel Honrado said on Sunday that the court injunction was issued last week by Judge Leoncio Janolo Jr., on appeal of Digichive Philippines Corp. (DPC), which submitted a bid of P101.5 million against the winning bid of P126 million.

The bidding for the advertising spaces was held in August 2012.

The airport authority used to earn an annual income of only P13.5 million from advertisements under the recently expired five-year contract with Digichive.

Honrado, who heads the MIAA board, said that the proceeds of the advertising spaces were used to improve NAIA2.

The airport manager said that in the August bidding, a winning bidder committed yearly revenue of 126 million for the MIAA for the next three years—higher than the P105 million offered by Digichive.

The Manila airport was about to award the contract to the winning party, however Digichive was able to secure an order, paving the way for the firm to continue doing business at NAIA2.

Honrado stressed that the authority would lose P88-million annually from advertising revenues as a result of the injunction.

“This huge sum could have helped fund major renovations and upgrading of facilities for all of the four passenger terminals managed by MIAA,” the airport chief said.

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:335
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:247
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:224
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:212
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:337
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC