checkmate

Press Club balks at slow pace of Tulfo-Santiago case

The National Press Club (NPC) has assailed the Pasay City Prosecutor’s Office for the slow pace in hearing the case filed by veteran columnist and NPC lifetime member, Ramon Tulfo, against showbiz couple Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto and businessman Eduardo Atilano.


“We find the slow evaluation of the complaint filed by Mon Tulfo against the Santiagos a reflection of the justice system in the country, where the rich and influential are favored over the common people,” said NPC president Benny Antiporda.

The case against the Santiagos and Atilano stemmed from an incident at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 on May 6, 2012.

“Mon Tulfo was clearly ganged upon by the group of the Santiagos and Atilano. Everything was seen on video,” said Antiporda.

The one-way fight started when Tulfo refused to hand over to the gang his cellphone, which the group suspected he used to taking video of Claudine berating two female staff of Cebu Pacific.

Tulfo had just come down from his plane from Davao City, while the Santiagos and Atilano came from Boracay.

Acting on his journalistic instinct, Tulfo used his cellphone to take pictures (not video) of the scolding incident at the Cebu Pacific counter.

Santiago and his companions confronted Tulfo and demanded he turn over his cellphone to them.

When Tulfo refused, they ganged up on him.

“Tulfo has approached the NPC to complain that he sensed bias in favor of the Santiagos and Atilano by the Pasay City Prosecutor’s Office,” Antiporda said.

“What’s taking the Pasay City prosecutor so long to resolve the case, which was filed in May last year?” Tulfo told Antiporda.

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:335
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:247
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:224
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:212
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:337
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC