Mayor Hernani Braganza of Alaminos City in Pangasinan province on Friday called news report that 11 barangay captains had filed criminal charges against him for alleged non-release of barangay funds and confiscation of barangay vehicles, a rehashed harassment case.
“My political opponents are desperately scraping the bottom of the barrel. They can’t find any dirt so they are desperately reviving stale cases against me,” said Braganza, the Liberal Party’s candidate for governor in Pangasinan.
Braganza said that the cases had been lodged in the Office of the Ombudsman for several months now, but news reports made it appear as if the cases were filed only recently.
“Don’t be misled by spin doctors. This is an old harassment case repackaged as news,” he added.
Braganza noted that his lawyers had already moved for the dismissal of the cases, citing perjury made by the complaining barangay chairmen in their allegations.
He explained that the Alaminos City budget office was able to provide the Ombudsman with documents proving that the all the barangays had received the barangay aid due to them.
“The documents, including checks and bank records, showed that the complainants were lying. We believe we have strong grounds to charge them with perjury,” he added.
Braganza also noted that as early as December 7, 2010, the aid to 39 barangays in Alaminos City for 2010 of about P1.17 million, was transferred and credited to their respective Land Bank of the Philippines accounts.
For 2011, the aid to the 39 barangays was fully released on May 14, 2011, as proven by similar documents.
As for the barangay vehicles, Braganza said that the city government was left with no choice but to recall the L-300 Mitsubishi vans for repair and upkeep, after they were discovered to be unserviceable and unsafe for transport.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:16
By : AL JACINTO CORRESPONDENT
ZAMBOANGA CITY: Former rep. Romeo Jalosjos Sr. of Zamboanga del Norte province, who was convicted of statutory rape and his younger brother, Dominador, convicted of robbery, were both barred from running in the midterm elections in the Philippines, r... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:218
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:197
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:251
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:168
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more