EDUCATION Secretary Armin Luistro has ordered the Department of Education’s (DepEd’s) disaster risk management office to continue its monitoring on the extent of damages in public schools affected by Typhoon Pablo which left a wide swath of destruction in Visayas and Mindanao regions.
As of Tuesday, Luistro reported that the total number of schools division affected by Typhoon Pablo reached 56, where some 12 schools reported damaged properties. The schools are in Biliran, Cagayan de Oro City, Compostela Valley, Davao City, Davao Oriental, Panabo City and Koronadal City.
To date, the DepEd chief said that there are 128 schools being used as evacuation centers which house some 10,000 families.
The provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental reported the most physical damages.
Earlier in the week, DepEd has conducted its regular nationwide simultaneous emergency response drill aimed at reducing disaster risk and mitigating loss of life and limbs.
In the previous cases, DepEd has used quick reaction funds for repair of damaged school buildings.
Luistro said that the agency’s disaster risk management teams at all levels remain activated and are continuously monitoring and assessing damages and the response needed.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:12
By : AL JACINTO CORRESPONDENT
ZAMBOANGA CITY: Former rep. Romeo Jalosjos Sr. of Zamboanga del Norte province, who was convicted of statutory rape and his younger brother, Dominador, convicted of robbery, were both barred from running in the midterm elections in the Philippines, r... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:218
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:197
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:251
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:167
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more