checkmate

A hungry stomach knows no law – Enrile

Rep. Juan “Jack” Ponce Enrile Jr. of the First District of Cagayan province warned that news reports of calamity victims in Davao Region and other victims of super-typhoon Pablo (international codename: Bopha), who were stopping ‘food convoys’ in the streets to force authorities to give them food, may be a “taste of worse things to come,” unless the government immediately takes action to address the problem of food availability.


“In the aftermath of the massive devastation brought by Super Typhoon Pablo in large areas of Mindanao, it breaks one’s heart to see in the news our countrymen now going to the extent of stopping ‘food convoys’ and begging along roadsides so they can have even one kilo of rice to tide them and their families for a day.

“In a country blessed with fertile soil and other resources, it is distressing to realize that we can be reduce to the level of some African nations where people risks getting run over by food convoys so they can have food to fill their hungry stomach,” said Enrile.

“And unless we come up with a definite ‘national food action plan’ to address the problem of food availability and access by those in critical need of them, we may just be seeing a taste of more worse things to come when civility and discipline breaks down.

“As the saying goes, a hungry stomach knows no law,” Enrile added.

Along this line, Enrile, an advocate of food sovereignty through genuine agricultural development and a leading senatorial candidate of the United Nationalist Alliance, urges his colleagues in Congress and the executive branch to support House Bill 4626 that he filed to address the problem.

The bill seeks to create a comprehensive “national framework” to address not only the lack of capacity to grow and supply food in areas hard hit by natural disasters such as typhoons but also seeks to boost agricultural development in the countryside.

“More importantly, it seeks to establish measures that would guarantee sufficient and ready access to vital food stuffs in affected areas such those devastated by typhoon Pablo in Mindanao,” the lawmaker said.

Enrile filed the bill on May 11, 2011 and he has since then been seeking bipartisan support for its immediate passage to due to its importance and relevance to current events.

“Repeated disasters that we are experiencing right now should not only be a wake-up call to all of us,” Enrile stressed.

Regions

Jalosjoses run in May polls grounds to complete stop

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:9
By : AL JACINTO CORRESPONDENT

ZAMBOANGA CITY: Former rep. Romeo Jalosjos Sr. of Zamboanga del Norte province, who was convicted of statutory rape and his younger brother, Dominador, convicted of robbery, were both barred from running in the midterm elections in the Philippines, r... Read more

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:217
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:197
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:251
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:167
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC