checkmate

ARMM governor orders arrest of fake LTO personnel

Gov. Mujiv Hataman of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) has ordered the arrest of persons posing as Land Transportation Office (LTO) field personnel who were allegedly extorting money from commuters in Maguindanao.


“Magbibigay tayo ng sample para Makita nilang seryoso tayo, ipakukulong natin sila, [We’ll give them a sample of how serious I am in getting rid of corruption in ARMM, I will lock them up in jail],” Hataman said in a radio interview.

“Help us identify who are these highway robbers and modern day extortionists,” Hataman said, addressing the public.

The governor also cited reports that hauler truck drivers had been complaining of extortion.

“Even if they have no traffic violations, they are asked to shell out money, this is too much for our hapless commuters,” he said.

Reports from motorists in the province reveal that the said fake LTO personnel ask them to shell out P1,500 for alleged traffic violations that the poseurs did not understand.

Regions

Jalosjoses run in May polls grounds to complete stop

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:1
By : AL JACINTO CORRESPONDENT

ZAMBOANGA CITY: Former rep. Romeo Jalosjos Sr. of Zamboanga del Norte province, who was convicted of statutory rape and his younger brother, Dominador, convicted of robbery, were both barred from running in the midterm elections in the Philippines, r... Read more

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:217
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:197
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:251
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:167
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC