checkmate

Firecracker mangles hand of 7-year-old boy

BAGUIO CITY: The Department of Health reported that 34 cases of firecracker-related injuries were noted as the city celebrated New Year—the casualties includes a seven-year-old boy from Abra with one of his hands mangled by firecracker and had to be sawn off.


Nicolas Gordo Jr., Department of Health Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit chief, said that there is a sudden decrease of cases of firecracker injuries, 35 percent lower than last year’s 52 cases and 92 cases registered in 2010.

Most of the injuries include blast burns, eye injuries, some injuries resulted in mangled fingers that often lead to amputation, he said.

The decrease in firecracker injuries was attributed to the city officials and police campaign against pyrotechnics.

From last year’s 25 cases of firecracker-related injuries in Baguio, there were only six cases this year.

He said that some of these cases might have come from other nearby provinces as reports have reached them that some of those injured were only treated at the Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center.

Cordillera provinces noted decreases in firecracker injuries but Abra continued to top the list of the number of injured with 13 injuries recorded, followed by Baguio and Benguet recording six cases each, Apayao province with four recorded injuries and Ifugao province with three recorded injuries.

Among the Cordillera provinces, Mountain Province and Kalinga registered only an injury respectively, which means campaigns against firecrackers were also successful in their areas.

Gordo said that piccolo continued to rank first among the type of firecrackers that caused injuries, with 12. He said this type of firecracker remains high-risk especially to children.

Other firecrackers that caused injuries include plapla, fountain, kwitis, whistle bomb, mother rocket, three-star and five-star.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:215
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:196
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:249
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:165
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:149
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC