checkmate

1,166 still living in evacuation centers

THE National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council on Sunday reported that at least 1,166 people are still staying in evacuation centers in the wake of Typhoon Auring (international codename: Sonamu).


The Disaster agency said that Auring affected 2,611 families, or 10,597 people in 30 villages in 11 towns and two cities in five provinces. Of these, 284 families or 1,166 people are staying in eight evacuation centers.

At least eight houses were destroyed while one was damaged in Dipolog City and in Puerto Princesa City, it added.

The agency said that the death toll remained at one—Pedro Francisco, 35, who was hit by an uprooted coconut tree in Rizal, Palawan province.

Meanwhile, the Risk Reduction council also reported over the weekend that the death toll from Tropical Storm Quinta (international codename: Wukong) rose to 23 from 20, while the damage also rose to P694.985 million.

The latest fatalities identified were Samson Barrido, 25, resident of Zone 5, Cabilawan, Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo, which was previously reported missing; Benjie Palec, 28, of Barangay Imbang, San Enrique, Iloilo; and Jade Turang 3 of Barangay Oyang, Libacao, Aklan were all died due to drowning.

It also noted an increase in the number of people affected after getting reports from Santa Barbara in Iloilo, while at least three remained missing while three were injured.

As of Saturday, the agency reported that Quinta had affected 79,097 families or 377,293 people in 694 villages in 61 towns and six cities in nine provinces.

While the damage caused by Quinta went up to P694,985,234.33, including P548,129,000 in infrastructure and P146,856,234.33 in agriculture.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:215
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:196
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:249
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:165
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:149
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC