checkmate

NBI, press club battle media killings, fake newsmen

THE National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the National Press Club of the Philippines agreed to work together to find fast solution for media killing and to improve the journalism industry by arresting people claiming to be “legitimate” members of the press.


During the courtesy call last week, NBI Director Nonnatus Caesar Rojas and NPC President Benny Antiporda and NPC Diretor Paul Gutierrez agreed on the following “working principles” for the two organizations.

The arrangement the NPC made with the NBI is different from the agreement that the NPC has been trying to formalize with the Department of the Interior and Local Government and the Philippine National Police.

“All these efforts by the NPC is aimed at hastening the solution of work-related killings and harassments that continue to hound the members of the Philippine media,” Antiporda said.

Also during the courtesy call, Rojas said that he is “honored” that NPC took the initiative to call his attention and to seek his help to resolve the many problems media people experience.

“The honor is mined for this visit and rest assured of the bureau’s full support to your endeavor to protect your members,” Rojas said.

Antiporda, on his part, promised the NBI director of fair treatment and NPC’s full support on the reform programs that Rojas in pushing for the NBI.

Both the NBI and the NPC agreed that the proliferation of fake members of the press who do not observe the Journalism Code of Ethics damages the media’s credibility and contributes to the incidents of media killing in the country.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:196
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:183
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:235
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:146
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:139
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC