China has yet to clarify the scope and limitations of a new rule that will allow the boarding and seizing of foreign ships that will pass through the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Wednesday.
“We have not yet received any clarification from China on the reported Hainan law,” Raul Hernandez, Foreign Affairs spokesman, said.
The new rule, which took effect on Jan. 1, will authorize Chinese police to board vessels deemed to be breaking the law off the southern island of Hainan province.
The new regulation sparked widespread concern among Southeast Asian nations as tensions continue to increase between China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei Darussalam.
It has raised concerns among the claimant-countries that Chinese police will be allowed to board foreign ships anywhere in the disputed waters
The Foreign Affairs department immediately sent an inquiry regarding the Hainan regulation after state media announced it in November last year.
Hainan is the province that has jurisdiction over China’s extensive claims in the West Philippine Sea.
On Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hua Chunying said that the Hainan rule would not deviate from the regulations being enforced there since 1999. The regulation limits the enforcement within 12 nautical miles of Hainan’s coast.
But even with such a clarification from the Chinese Foreign Ministry, the Philippines’ Foreign Affairs department said it is waiting for the formal response to its inquiry, which aims to understand any new rule being enforced in the contested waters.
China has claims on the entire West Philippine Sea, which overlaps the same claims being made by the Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei Darussalam.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:342
By : The Manila Times Special Reports Team
Experts reacting to Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr.’s response to The Manila Times banner story on Friday, January 11 “Smartmatic and Comelec collusion bared”—insist Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:507
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter
The Philippine economy is projected to grow above 6 percent for each year until 2015 despite risks from the eurozone and the United States, the World Bank said in its newly released Global Economic Prospects (GEP) 2013 report. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:312
By : Ritchie Horario Reporter
The Senate “word war” is now between Senators Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and Miriam Defensor-Santiago, who on Wednesday fired off verbal bombs meant to humiliate each other. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:145
By : Johanna M. Sampan Reporter
Candidates may soon find their online campaign gimmicks on popular social networking sites regulated by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), too. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:200
By : AFP
SYDNEY: An Australian scientist said on Wednesday that he had discovered how to turn the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) against itself to stop it progressing to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), describing it as a major breakthrough in ... Read more