THE Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) said that it would file graft charges against officials of the Pasig City government for their alleged illegal collection of real property taxes on the controversial Payanig sa Pasig property.
PCGG Chairman Andres Bautista said that the local government of Pasig was not supposed to collect real property tax from Blemp Commercial of the Philippines, which is said to be owned by Gov. Luis “Chavit” Singson of Ilocos Sur province.
Bautista said that Pasig officials, including Mayor Robert Eusebio, violated Republic Act 3019, or the Anti-graft and Corrupt Practices Act.
Besides Eusebio, the Pasig assessor, treasurer and licensing officer may be held liable for collecting and receiving the tax payment, Bautista said.
The PCGG chief also disclosed that besides the illegal collection of real property taxes, the Pasig City also refused to heed their request to stop issuing business and mayor permits to some 117 business establishments at the Payanig who were the subject of ejectment proceedings for refusal to pay monthly rental dues.
Bautista said that officers of Independent Realty Corp., the PCGG’s holding firm which manages Payanig, with officials of PCGG had earlier talked to Pasig officials urging them not to issue business and mayor’s permit to the said establishments.
The refusal to pay rental dues has deprived the government of some P1 billion in terms of revenue in lease contract from the said property, Bautista stressed.
The PCGG official said that the legal officers of the Realty are now preparing the documents, papers and evidence for the filing of charges before the Ombudsman office.
The 18.4-hectare property, or the Payanig sa Pasig property, under the name of Mid-Pasig Land Development Corp. was among the assets and properties surrendered to the government by businessman Jose Campos.
Campos is a known crony of former strongman Ferdinand Marcos. The property was alleged to be part of ill-gotten wealth of the late dictator.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:332
By : The Manila Times Special Reports Team
Experts reacting to Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr.’s response to The Manila Times banner story on Friday, January 11 “Smartmatic and Comelec collusion bared”—insist Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:486
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter
The Philippine economy is projected to grow above 6 percent for each year until 2015 despite risks from the eurozone and the United States, the World Bank said in its newly released Global Economic Prospects (GEP) 2013 report. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:302
By : Ritchie Horario Reporter
The Senate “word war” is now between Senators Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and Miriam Defensor-Santiago, who on Wednesday fired off verbal bombs meant to humiliate each other. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:142
By : Johanna M. Sampan Reporter
Candidates may soon find their online campaign gimmicks on popular social networking sites regulated by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), too. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:193
By : AFP
SYDNEY: An Australian scientist said on Wednesday that he had discovered how to turn the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) against itself to stop it progressing to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), describing it as a major breakthrough in ... Read more