ROME: Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti is stepping down, the president’s office announced, just hours after the man he replaced, Silvio Berlusconi, said that he would run again for head of government.
Monti “does not think it possible to continue his mandate and consequently made clear his intention to present his resignation,” said a statement from President Giorgio Napolitano’s office on Saturday.
The announcement came after Monti met with Napolitano at the Presidential Quirinal Palace for more than an hour. Already on Friday, Monti had held talks with parliamentary political leaders including Angelino Alfano of Berlusconi’s right-wing People of Freedom (PDL) party.
Monti would check to see if the various political parties were ready to approve the budget his government had advanced as soon as possible. But once that had been done he would step down, said the statement.
Comments Alfano has made in parliament amounted to a declaration of no confidence in Monti’s government and its policies, the statement added.
“We believe the experience of the Monti government is over, Alfano told parliament earlier this week. But he added that as the PDL wanted an “orderly conclusion” to the legislature, it would not try to bring down the government.
Monti’s government had been due to step down in spring next year, with a general election expected in March or April.
But Berlusconi’s PDL fired a shot across the government’s bows on Thursday, twice abstaining from confidence votes in the government to protest Monti’s policies.
Recent polls have suggested that the center-left Democratic Party would win an election but not with an outright majority, forcing it to seek coalition partners.
The party is now led by Luigi Bersani, who was voted into the post only last weekend.
Berlusconi, a billionaire media magnate, said in his statement on Saturday that he had opened talks with former coalition allies the Northern League, a formerly separatist party, to try to agree on backing a single candidate.
In October, Berlusconi said that he would not run again for the premiership. On Wednesday however, the media tycoon said that he had been assailed with requests to return to the field as soon as possible.
This will be his sixth bid to become head of government. He has been prime minister three times over a political career spanning two decades.
A parliamentary revolt forced him from office in November 2011 as he was fighting a series of scandals that had damaged his reputation and, said critics, the country’s standing. The financial markets had reacted so badly that Italy was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.
Monti took over as prime minister at the head of an unelected government of technocrats. He set about introducing a policy of tax rises and unprecedented austerity measures to get the economy under control.
He warned that failure to approve a new budget by the end of the year could have grave consequences for Italy and for the European Union.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:32
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:29
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:26
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:23
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:20
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more