SINGAPORE: An Indian gang-rape victim was “struggling against the odds” to survive on Friday after suffering a heart attack and brain injuries, as medics criticized a decision to fly her to Singapore.
In a bulletin issued the day after her arrival in Singapore, doctors at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital said that the 23-year-old was battling an infection in her lungs and remained critically ill after the December 16 assault in Delhi.
“The patient is currently struggling against the odds and fighting for her life,” Kelvin Loh, chief executive officer of Mount Elizabeth Hospital where she was airlifted to from India, said in a statement.
“Our medical team’s investigations upon her arrival at the hospital yesterday showed that in addition to her prior cardiac arrest, she also had infection of her lungs and abdomen, as well as significant brain injury,” he added.
“A multi-disciplinary team of specialists has been working tirelessly to treat her since her arrival and is doing everything possible to stabilize her condition over the next few days.”
On Thursday, the hospital revealed that the woman, who is a student in Delhi, had undergone “three abdominal surgeries and experienced a cardiac arrest in India” as it gave the first detailed rundown of her condition.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been treated in Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital, since she was thrown off a bus in the capital after six men took turns to rape her at the back of the vehicle on December 16.
She also suffered severe intestinal injuries as a result of being assaulted with an iron bar, according to police and prosecutors.
The decision to fly her in a special air ambulance was taken at a meeting of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s cabinet on Wednesday, the government having already promised to pay all her medical bills.
But while ministers have insisted that the decision was taken purely on medical grounds, newspapers have suggested that authorities who have struggled to retain nationwide protests over the attack were keen to have her transferred out of the country.
An unnamed doctor who was part of a team of experts consulted about the transfer told The Hindu newspaper that they had only been asked whether it was safe to move her rather than if it was the best course of action.
Samiran Nundy, chairman of the organ transplant and gastro-surgery department of Delhi’s Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, told the paper that the transfer made little sense.
“I just can’t understand why a critically ill patient with infection in blood and body, high grade fever and on the ventilator is being transferred,” he said. “It will take weeks in this case to even look into the possibility of an intestinal transplant so why hurry and take the patient out from a facility which works so well. It seems more of a political move.”
Singh has ordered an official inquiry into the gang-rape and promised new laws to protect women as well as stiffer penalties for the worst sex crimes.
The government announced on Thursday that it would post the photos, names and addresses of convicted rapists on official websites to publicly shame them. The campaign will begin in Delhi, which has been dubbed India’s “rape capital.”
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:19
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:21
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:19
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:16
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:14
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more