
| Manny Pacquiao AFP FILE PHOTO |
MANNY Pacquiao is bracing for a big comeback fight in September to redeem himself from the resounding loss he absorbed from his archrival Juan Manuel Marquez last month.
“When he returns in September, he must win his fight. That’s all. At 34, I believe he can still fight. He needs to prepare very well this year,” Pacquiao’s business adviser Rex “Wakee” Salud told The Manila Times on Monday in a telephone interview. “That would be absolutely good [if he wins].”
A possible fifth fight against Marquez awaits Pacquiao in September according to Top Rank Promotion head honcho Bob Arum.
The former pound-for-pound king though cannot book a bout any time soon because the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended his boxing license for 90 days. The suspension aims to prevent any serious physical damage to Pacquiao who was knocked out soundly by Marquez in the sixth round of their fourth encounter.
Pacquiao also lost his World Boxing Organization welterweight title against unbeaten American Timothy Bradley via split decision in June last year.
But the veteran boxing promoter Salud said he believes that Pacquiao still got a lot of mileage in him but he must choose between politics and boxing.
“Pacquiao remains to be the strongest and fastest boxer of all time, but he needs to focus more on his boxing career. If he focuses very well, no one can beat Manny for sure,” Salud said.
Salud also believes that the much-awaited fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could still happen in 2014 simply because of its huge financial potential, “If you’ll look at it, the money is there. So I know it could still happen.”
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:47
By : AFP
Serena Williams AFP PHOTO MELBOURNE: Serena Williams survived a busted lip and Andy Murray raced into the third round on a day of ice-packs and sunscreen as temperatures soared at the Australian Open on Thursday. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:47
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Grandmaster (GM) Mark Paragua scored two more victories to grab to solo lead on Thursday in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adriatico, Manila. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:20
By : AFP
Lance Armstrong AFP FILE PHOTO WASHINGTON, D.C.: The cancer charity founded by Lance Armstrong said Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) it expects the disgraced cyclist to be “completely truthful and forthcoming” in his upcoming intervi... Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:22
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
ATENEO de Manila University notched a twin kill, winning in the women’s class and the junior’s class of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) football tourney Season 75 on Wednesday inside the Ateneo campus. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:22
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Last year’s runner-up Ateneo de Manila University nailed its fourth straight win in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 75 baseball tournament on Thursday at the Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium in Manila. Read more