WORLD Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes expressed his readiness to defend his title against WBO strawweight titleholder Moses Fuentes of Mexico most likely in February or in March.
Nietes, 30, told The Manila Times that he is preparing very well since last year after learning that he would fight against the tall and young fighter Fuentes, 27, who has 16-1 card with eight KOs.
“He [Fuentes] has the moves and the skills. At the same time, he is tall,” said Nietes, who currently trains in Cebu. “But I’m not worried. I will give my best to successfully defend my title.”
Nietes, who successfully defended his crown against Danai Meendaeng of Thailand via fifth round technical knockout in November, said he has no plan of moving up to the flyweight class if ever he defeated Fuentes.
“There are so many Filipinos there in the flyweight division,” said Nietes, referring to his compatriots WBO flyweight champ Brian Viloria, Milan Melindo and Froilan Saludar. “I’m fine here.”
Nietes holds a 31-1-3 win-loss-draw slate with 17 knockouts.
“A champion has to fight the best,” Fuentes, who ended the career of Ivan Calderon in October with a fifth round knockout told RingTV.com reporter Ryan Songalia.
“The winner will be whoever had the best preparation for the fight, Donnie Nietes or Moises Fuentes. It’s not Philippines versus Mexico, it’s just him and me,” he added.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:46
By : AFP
Serena Williams AFP PHOTO MELBOURNE: Serena Williams survived a busted lip and Andy Murray raced into the third round on a day of ice-packs and sunscreen as temperatures soared at the Australian Open on Thursday. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:46
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Grandmaster (GM) Mark Paragua scored two more victories to grab to solo lead on Thursday in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adriatico, Manila. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:19
By : AFP
Lance Armstrong AFP FILE PHOTO WASHINGTON, D.C.: The cancer charity founded by Lance Armstrong said Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) it expects the disgraced cyclist to be “completely truthful and forthcoming” in his upcoming intervi... Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:21
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
ATENEO de Manila University notched a twin kill, winning in the women’s class and the junior’s class of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) football tourney Season 75 on Wednesday inside the Ateneo campus. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:21
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Last year’s runner-up Ateneo de Manila University nailed its fourth straight win in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 75 baseball tournament on Thursday at the Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium in Manila. Read more